Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Black Peter And The Heebie Jeebies


Blogs are like relatives. It's awkward when you first return but once you're back you always seem to be wonderin': "why so long?"

My beloved Pistons, the only likable team in the Detroit Area has fallen from the Eastern Elite. Note: I use "likable" instead of "lovable" because the Detroit Lions are right now, in the Economically depressed state of Michigan, the most lovable team I have ever encountered. People everywhere are rising up in ironic support of their ineptitude. Just today I was walking past a barber shop and caught sight of three signed photographs in the window. They were of Matt Millen, Rod Marinelli, and Mike Martz. I laughed out loud, my guffaws echoing through the air. I didn't realize that people inside the store were watching me. I looked inside and they were laughing with me. Also, I've been to a bar every day I've been here. They've been varying places--high end, low end, friend's basement--but one thing has united one. In every bar people are discussing Calvin Johnson's potential. Eminem might be coming back but this is culture right now.

Onward to Basketball, the sport I've been ignoring for football over the past three weeks. Sorry, it's just been a slate of far too good games.

I've caught a lot of Pistons since I've been back. I caught the second half of tough loses versus Utah and Atlanta (where we benched AI in the fourth no less). It is disheartening to say bvut the soul of this team left town with Chauncey Billups. Now, there is no way in hell Chauncey would be this effective in the D. My professor said he was smoking too much but aftern the cathartic experience of going home for Christmas I can understand how returning to his hometown of Denver as the favorite son, the homecoming conqueror, would rejuvenate a man's game. Throw in the ineptitude of Coach George, the hot and coldness of 'Melo, and you have a man with free reign over his destiny. It's great to see Chauncey mingle among the league's elite once again. He's a streaky player but I trust it'll last through the season and a first round victory. That deserves a parade in my book.

The downside of Chauncey's trade to Denver has been the disshevelment of the once Super Duper Pistons. Allen Iverson has yet to find a groove with the team and for the first time since his rookie year he's picking up some doubters. This landed him on the bench during crunch time. Hopefully it spurs a FUCK YOU rennaissance. The biggest effect of Chauncey's departure has been the lack of a late game closer. We're grooming Stuckey for the role and he's proven to be more than up to the task. Already I'd say he's a rich man's Ben Gordon but he's got a long way to go before carrying the Pistons through late game stretches is a routine reality. He poured 40 on Chicago tonight, inspiring the masses, but late game histronics will continue to be a dystopic mess. Run Rip off a screen, try to get AI to the line, or let Stuckey go all twirl a whirl through the D. Letting these players do what they do is fine and good but it's a sorely missed step behind the precision late game execution honed to a religious ritual by one Mr. Big Shot.


Thoughts on the East.
Sometime in the future we might have to pick sides of Cleveland versus Boston for control of the East. I'll hate the Cavs until they switch back to the old unis to honor Larry Nance and Daugherty and will never ever cheer for a Boston team. Pressed for an opinion, I'd rather pull out my eyebrows.
Orlando could be the knight in shining armor that lifts the season to the next level. A second round series between the Magic and Cavs seems like an inevitability. The Cavs may have dominated Autumn through intensity but no amount of hustle can quell Dwight's muscle. (Look at me! I made a poem)
The Atlanta Hawks have silly silly home games. Watching on television it seems like a depressing night club, trying way too hard to distract from its sparse crowds.