Thursday, October 30, 2008

Volleyballin'



None of the televised games in LA were enough to drag me away from laundry, Be Kind Rewind, or Obama on the Daily Show, so please forgive me if my oppinions come off as incredibly uninformed. Truth be told they would probably be the exact same if I had watched every single second of the games played tonight. Certain things stick out to me regardless of how much I'm concentrating.

But enough of setting the stage for my comments. So without further ado, here they are in their sleepy glory:

With the exception of the Memphis/Houston games, all tonight's games seemed to have been suitably high scoring. Defense can be a marvelous thing (when its of the set-things-ablaze-to-birth-something-new variety), but creation (not creationism) is so much more fun.

Despite their position as teams that bore the hell out of me, Sacramento and Minnesota seemed to have played a nice nail biter. This is was needed especially after yesterday's complete lack of theatre.

Phoenix's win over San Antonio probably isn't that meaningful. The Spurs are at 2/3 strength and they're never that good for the first 3/4 (multiple fractions in one sentence! oh shit!!!) of the season anyway. Still, it's alway nice to beat the Spurs, especially if you've met in past issues of the ongoing series.

The Lakers look sort of superb. I'm biased and they haven't really played anyone, but man alive do they look swell. Also I loved that on espn.com's season predictions, Jalen Rose didn't justify his picking the Lakers to win the title. Yes there were a few others who declined to provide elaboration for their picks, but their indifference is a different beast than Jalen's. Rose realizes that it is the pick that matter and he will let his actions speak, rather than shitting all over the screen by way of his (or his ghostwriter's) keyboard. Jalen Rose = Ernest Hemingway, Ernest Hemingway = Jalen Rose.

THE PLAY/MOMENT OF THE DAY was brought to us by the face of LA's other team. Half way through the third quarter with the game well out of reach, Baron Davis (my favorite Bruin) was still playing like a man infused with the holy spirit, hustling after a loose ball, throwing a ridiculous no look volleyball pass over his head to a streaking Al Thornton (I think, really you watch the play and try to notice anything beside Davis' pass) who whole heartedly took advantage of an uncontested opportunity to dunk. LA does something to Davis, and I hope its effect on him will help him over come the (probably) inevitable Clippers malaise that has already got its sights on him. In the words of Jalen, it was a great play.

Finally it's being reported that Oden will only be out 2-4 weeks. While I hope this is true I sorta/kinda/definitely doubt it. But you know what, maybe we've entred a new era of sports team transparency.

No comments: