Monday, October 27, 2008

Your hopes and your dreams and your hate and your lies



With the NBA season starting tomorrow, I though it appropriate to put up my version of a season preview. I don't really have the time, focus, or discipline to write out something on every team so here's my best shot (or at least what I could write up in 15 minutes). All teams listed in terms of preference:

Team I spend countless hours thinking about (aka the team that I will weep for):

Los Angeles Lakers - My team. My heart. My everything.

Teams I will root for:

Toronto Raptors - T. J. Ford's out of the way, so I expect magic from them. Chris Bosh looks like a stegosaurus and Jose Calderon thinks Mexican food is better than Spanish food.

Portland Trail Blazers - I feel like I only have a season or two left of rooting for them, before they become the Lakers mortal enemies.

New Orleans Hornets - Chris Paul and Tyson's Chandlers athleticism.

Teams I'm almost endlessly intrigued by:

Houston Rockets - Tracy McGrady, the world's most morose and sleepy eyed private eye.

Los Angeles Clippers - There only chance is if Baron Davis' beard gives its wearer the power of invulnerability. Perchance to dream.

Memphis Grizzlies - I don't know why either.

Denver Nuggets - Midway through the season the rest of Carmelo's body will take on the baby-like qualities of his face.

Philadelphia 76ers - Thadeus Young is on one of my fantasy teams!

Team I will pay attention to because they mean so much to people I hold near and dear:

Detroit Pistons - The most exciting group of young role player who will never be anything more than role players ever. Although I expect better from them than that. Duh-zers.

Team I feel I should like but don't for some reason that is not yet clear:

Orlando Magic - They have all these intriguing players and often play a chaotic style in pursuit of creation, yet I don't like them.

Team I kinda of sort of want to see what will happen to since I really liked Seven Seconds or Less:

New York Knicks - It'd be great if James Dolan turns out to be some sort of soul sucking celestial sent down to earth to enrage Spike Lee and make Woody Allen shrug his shoulders, and not just a complete moron.

Team I will occasionally check in on because they are coached by Vinny Del Negro:

Chicago Bulls - Some of my most vivid basketball memories are images of David Robinson glaring at Vinny and Dennis Rodman and wishing they'd let him join their secret club. P.S. Dennis Rodman is almost 50!!!

Teams that prove that there is no such thing as addition by subtraction (even if involuntary):

Washington Wizards - I miss you Gilby.

Atlanta Hawks - The Greeks have stolen your essence! Even if he wasn't that great to begin with.

Golden State Warriors - Oh what could have been.

Team I feel like I should hate, but sort of don't, but don't care for regardless:

Utah Jazz - I like Darren Williams and not just because his hair is always done all crooked-like.

Teams I don't care about and thus can muster no words for:


Charlotte Bobcats, Dallas Mavericks, Indiana Pacers, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Jersey Nets, Sacramento Kings.

Teams I will not root for:

Miami Heat - Even if I like Wade more than ever before (what a great Olympics!) I cannot find it within myself to root for this team.

Phoenix Suns - These are not the Sun of old. I do like Amare though.

Oklahoma City Thunder - Someday Kevin Durant will be on another team. I am excited for that day.

Cleveland Cavaliers - Boring.

San Antonio Spurs - Boring x 2.

Team that I hate with all my might:

Boston Celtics - Fuck 'em.

P.S. I won't make a title prediction for awhile. If ever.

No comments: