Monday, October 27, 2008

We Are Here!

This is a blog about Basketball. Why a blog? This is 2008. Why basketball? I've spent the past twenty minutes trying to load Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback Column to read the latest dish about the NFL. I wasn't too enthused when B came to me with idea of a basketball blog as I'm sort of aloof and nonsensical about most things these days. I knew I was in but needed an onus to spark my interest...

As I grow older my ADD gets worse and worse. It's gotten so bad that I find myself accepting it as a legitimate handicap. My high dosage of Adderall doesn't do the trick like it used to. Worse yet, I have papers due all the time  a novel to write in my spare time to maintain any semblance of self worth. These are the sort of thoughts that make me want to get my life organized but I don't make the leap. This is especially clear on Sundays. Sundays are spent laying around, watching football, and having strange conversations with weird people. Stand up Comedy was once a part of the mix and and will be again but I can't when. I want to jump in front of everyone and make them laugh. That is my primary desire. 

I meander. I mean to succinctly say that I spend Sunday nights drinking beer, writing, and reading about basketball in my spare time. I like to read novels. I want to read novels. But nothing compares to the pursuit of hoop. 

Awake by myself at 6:34 I find my thoughts turning to basketball, specifically the NBA and how the Sacramento Kings would fare against a Maccabi Tel Aviv team keyed by Piston burn outs Carlos Arroyo and Rodney White.  

I listen to music too. On Sundays it's Stevie Wonder, MF Doom, Air, and Gershwin at the moment. 

I am digressing. I fail in fulfilling my obligation to this blog. Get used to it. 

Tuesday is a Holy Day in my world. The advent of the NBA season brings another turn on the Great Narrative. I watch basketball but sometimes I watch basketball. In a state of extreme focus every player, action, and event becomes a cog in the Great Narrative of an NBA season. I watch a lot of Sports but when basketball makes complete sense, serving allegories for everything while standing tall as a monolith of sport. 

I am here to follow the Great Narrative of Basketball. To chronicle the rise and fall of expectations and the mixing of the unknown. In this season I will learn a lot about basketball but even more about what it means to be a man. How one best approaches a goal. What pursuit fits which purpose. I write everyday but it is of no coincidence that I write considerably more during the NBA season. The bevy of ball breaks down every aspect into little crystals of knowledge I can put in my pocket and stash away until I have a family all my own. 

Without further ado...

WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN IN THE 2008-09 BASKETBALL SEASON

The old fashioned elite will fall to the ashes. Boston and San Antonio should go but probably won't. Dallas and Phoenix deserve another run but only one team will obtain it. I will refuse to wear my Dirk Nowitzki jersey because I fear I am kind of soft. Dirk will still score 23, grab 9, and go to sleep unsatisfied. Jason Kidd will make him feel terrible. Giving away the gold wasn't good for Dirk's psyche. 

Houston will rise and ascend...finally. I've been waiting for this team for years. Yao and Stevie. Yao and Tracy. Tracy and Scola. I believe in any incarnation. However, this is a team built on both logic and nastiness. Consider it the advent of Hip Hop Academia. Mix the stability of Yao, T-Mac, and Battier with volatility of Scola and Artest and you're welcome in any alley or lecture hall. 

The Rockets, Jazz, Hornets, Suns, Raptors, Pistons, and Heat deserve to win the Championship. 
The Cavaliers, Spurs, Celtics, Magic, and Bulls do not. The Bulls don't deserve to win another game. Ever. The Magic need to show more spunk to endear themselves, no one wants to be "potential" forever. The Celtics need to have some dignity. The Spurs need less dignity. The Cavs should move to Albania and end the ceaseless cycles of LeBron chatter. 


Matt Barnes on the Suns will be a spectacle for all to see. 
Rodney Stuckey will win 6th Man of the Year. 
Carlos Boozer will turn into a Monster and Deron Williams will feel slighted again. 

The Clippers will be a ton of fun and Baron Davis will learn something from it all. We will see it in filmic form by 2011. 


No comments: